Rio Vista, TX Traffic Tickets
Rio Vista Occupational Driver License (ODL) Information
Having a suspended or invalid driver license does NOT necessarily mean you cannot legally drive in the State of Texas. Obtaining an Occupational Driver License (ODL), or temporary license, can permit you to drive legally, even while your license is suspended. Attorney Todd E. Tkach has obtained hundreds of ODL’s for his clients. The process can be tricky and not everyone qualifies. Having current and timely Rio Vista Occupational Driver License (ODL) information is critical. So, call us today to see if you qualify and to start the process of getting your Occupational Driver License!
If you are like most people, you might not be aware that the TxDPS actually issues several different types of driver licenses: Motorcycle licenses, Commercial licenses, Non-Commercial licenses, and Occupational licenses. The purpose of an Occupational Driver license is to allow a person, whose driver's license has been suspended, to continue to legally drive for the purpose of daily necessities of life that require driving; for example, work, household errands, school, and religious services.
Although an Occupational Driver License carries with it certain restrictions, it does allow you to drive legally while your driver's license is invalid or suspended. The Law Office of Todd E. Tkach can guide you through the process of obtaining an ODL, to ensure that you can continue to drive legally and don’t get cited for driving with a suspended license!
Keeping You Driving ... Legally!
The law authorizing Occupational Driver Licenses is a recognition that, for many people, driving is essential and necessary. For many people, completing basic household duties would be extremely difficult without the ability to legally drive. The wisdom of the law is apparent, especially when you consider the penalties for driving with a suspended driver license.
Getting a ticket for driving while your driver's license is suspended can be costly; the penalties are severe in the State of Texas! A first conviction leads to surcharges imposed by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) in the amount of $750.00. A second conviction for driving with an invalid driver license allows the State to file a charge against you as a Class B Misdemeanor, which carries a punishment ranging up to 6 months in the County Jail and/or up to a $2,000.00 fine.
Who Qualifies for an Occupational Driver License?
Occupational Driver Licenses are not uncommon but require proof of certain criteria to obtain. Who qualifies for an Occupational Driver License?
First, you must have held a valid Texas Driver License that was suspended. If you never had a Texas Driver License, you can’t get an Occupational Driver License.
Second, you can’t get an Occupational Driver License is your license was “revoked.” “Revoked” is very different than “suspended.” Revoked means that your driver license was taken from you for a specific reason, such as you are not medically fit to drive, you failed a required DPS exam, or you owe child support. With these conditions, you cannot hold a driver license or an Occupational Driver License until the problem causing the revocation is cured.
Third, you can’t get an Occupational Driver License if you have obtained 2 prior Occupational Driver Licenses in the past 10 years after convictions mandating the suspension of your driver license.
Fourth, you must otherwise qualify for an Occupational Driver License, but for the reason for the suspension.
If you have questions about your qualifications for an ODL and to get Rio Vista Occupational Driver License (ODL) information, call the Law Office of Todd E. Tkach, P.C. for help. It is a free call!
If you are not excluded by the 4 criteria above, you may petition the court for an Occupational Driver License. You must present to the court proof that you have an “essential need” to drive a motor vehicle. “Essential need” means that you need to drive for work, school or to perform essential household duties.
If you prove an “essential need,” the court may order an Occupational Driver License be issued to you. As stated before, an Occupational Driver License is restricted. The law restricts driving to no more than 4 hours in any 24-hour period, except that on a showing of “necessity” the court may allow you to drive for any period determined by the court that does not exceed 12 hours in any 24-hour period. Additionally, you must identify the counties in which the essential need exists, and you are limited to driving in those counties only.
When can you petition for an Occupational Driver License? For most people, a petition for an Occupational Driver License may be filed immediately after a driver license suspension. However, there are waiting periods under certain circumstances, as follows:
- If your driver license has been suspended in the last 5 years because of a drug or alcohol related enforcement (i.e. you refused to take a breath test), there is a 91-day waiting period;
- If your driver license has been suspended in the last 5 years because of 1 conviction for DWI, Intoxication Assault, or Intoxication Manslaughter, there is a 181-day waiting period; and
- If your driver license has been suspended in the last 5 years because of 2 or more convictions for DWI, Intoxication Assault, or Intoxication Manslaughter, there is a 1 year waiting period.
- However, these waiting periods can be waived by the Judge with proof that you have installed an ignition interlock system on your vehicle.
Occupational Driver Licenses are valid for up to 2 years. However, if you are successful with obtaining an order from a court for an Occupational Driver License, you may only legally drive for 45 days, unless and until you file all of the necessary papers with DPS and pay a driver license reinstatement fee and an Occupational Driver License fee. Additionally, any time you drive, you must carry with you, not only the Occupational Driver License issued to you by DPS, but the Order for Occupational Driver License issued by the court. Failure to do either is a Class B misdemeanor.
If your driver license has been suspended, but you need to drive, call us as soon as possible for Rio Vista Occupational Driver License (ODL) information. There are many hoops to jump through and hurdles to overcome to get an Occupational Driver License. We know the substantive laws, the procedure and how to complete the necessary paperwork to obtain an Occupational Driver License. Don’t go-it-alone! Call us now to talk with one of our representatives about getting your Occupational Driver License today!
Suspension or Revocation Help
Our local traffic ticket practice in your community
We serve your community and cover all aspects of traffic ticket cases.
Other Rio Vista Ticket Pages
- Jurisdiction of the City of Rio Vista
- Rio Vista Administrative Driver License Hearing Representation
- Rio Vista Arrest Warrant
- Rio Vista Attorney Help for Driver License Suspension
- Rio Vista DPS Driver License Hearing
- Rio Vista Driver License Suspension Hearing Attorney
- Rio Vista Driver License Suspension Hearing Lawyer
- Rio Vista Driver License Suspension Notification
- Rio Vista Lawyer Help for Driver License Suspension
- Rio Vista Municipal Court Warrant
- Rio Vista Occupational Driver License Attorney
- Rio Vista Occupational Driver License Information
- Rio Vista Occupational Driver License Lawyer
- Rio Vista Occupational Driver License - ODL
- Rio Vista Speeding Ticket
- Rio Vista Speeding Ticket Attorney
- Rio Vista Speeding Ticket Lawyer
- Rio Vista Suspended Driver License
- Rio Vista Suspended Driver License and Reinstatement Information
- Rio Vista Ticket Attorney
- Rio Vista Ticket Dismissal
- Rio Vista Ticket Lawyer
- Rio Vista Ticket Warrant
- Rio Vista Traffic Attorney
- Rio Vista Traffic Citation
- Rio Vista Traffic Lawyer
- Rio Vista Traffic Ticket
- Rio Vista Traffic Ticket Attorney
- Rio Vista Traffic Ticket Lawyer
- Rio Vista Traffic Violation
- Rio Vista Traffic Violation Attorney
- Rio Vista Traffic Violation Lawyer
- Rio Vista Traffic Warrant
- Rio Vista Warrant
- Rio Vista Warrant Lifted
- Rio Vista Warrant Roundup
- Driving with a Suspended or Revoked Driver License in Rio Vista
- TxDPS Suspension Notification Rio Vista Defense Attorney
- TxDPS Suspension Notification Rio Vista Defense Lawyer
Our traffic tickets video library
Please explore our video library about traffic ticket cases.
See Our Entire Library of Traffic Ticket Videos
You need knowledgeable and skilled representation if you get a traffic ticket
Getting a traffic ticket impacts your for years: your driving record, insurance costs and potentially state surcharges. Don't simply pay the ticket. Instead, get a better outcome.